[mythtv-users] Mytharchive and non monotone timestamps

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 02:34:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:01 AM, George Mari
<george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 08:00 PM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>
>> Can anybody help me figure out how to fix this?
>>
>> I am running Mythbuntu 9.10 (with reasonably recent updates, though
>> not necessarily as up to date as 2/27/10).
>>
>> I recorded some shows OTA from the local PBS station that my wife
>> would love to have on DVD so she could give them to her Jane Austen
>> fan friends.  When I try to burn them to DVD, the process fails.  The
>> end of mythburn.log looks like:
>>
>> [mpeg2video @ 0x88f6800]00 motion_type at 75 28
>> [mpeg2video @ 0x88f6800]00 motion_type at 64 31
>> [mpeg2video @ 0x88f6800]concealing 500 DC, 500 AC, 500 MV errors
>> [NULL @ 0x88fa080]error, non monotone timestamps 167951071>= 167948191
>> av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file
>> ERROR: Failed while running ffmpeg to re-encode video.
>> Command was ffmpeg -threads 2 -v 1 -i
>> "/storage/mythtv/recordings/1021_20100124210000.mpg" -r ntsc -target
>> dvd -b 4771k -s 720x480 -acodec copy -copyts -aspect 16:9
>> "/var/lib/mytharchive/temp/work/1/newfile2.mpg" -map 0:0 -map 0:1
>>
>> It's not too surprising to me that there might be some bit errors in
>> the data stream, given that I recorded it over the air from 40 miles
>> outside Boston.  I've looked around and found some (rather old)
>> suggestions, the most promising of which was that I should use Project
>> X to process the file, as it is supposedly more robust in the presence
>> of errors than ffmpeg.
>>
>> So I checked off the setting to use Project X, and I used aptitude to
>> install project-x, but, according to the log, mythburn doesn't seem to
>> be running project-x anywhere, and I've still got this problem.
>>
>> Can anybody give me any pointers?  I sure would appreciate it.
>>

> This happened to me once before, running 0.20 or 0.21, I forgot which.
> Googling at the time suggested a new version of ffmpeg was needed to correct
> the problem - but I'm only about 60% sure this was the solution.  I do
> remember the problem going away after an upgrade of one sort or the other -
> it may have been mythtv that was upgraded.

Any other takers? One thread I found suggested using ProjectX.   I've
tried installing it and checking the box that says, "Use Project-X",
but there is no difference.  The log files are virtually (but not
perfectly) identical.

Are there any tricks to installing ProjectX on a mythbuntu box?  Do I
need to do anything other than:

$ sudo aptitude install project-x

If I want to try a new version of ffmpeg, are there any tricks I
should be aware of in removing the packaged version from my mythbuntu
box and installing my own (presumably from svn/git/cvs) version?  I'm
anticipating that if I try something like

$ sudo aptitude remove ffmpeg

...that the dependency checking will result in most of mythbuntu being
removed as well.  I'm also anticipating that there is some sort of
--dont-remove-dependencies flag that I can pass to aptitude.

--wpd