[mythtv-users] mpeg4 on Ion ?

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 2 16:28:34 UTC 2010

I've started playing around with transcoding shows to save
space. (The Olympics "challenged" my backend. :-) ) But it seems
that my Zotac Ion (single core) has trouble playing mpeg4.
(I assume its mpeg4. I picked it under "transcode from mpeg2",
its a .nuv file and mplayer says that it uses the ffmpeg mpeg4
codec.)

I was hoping to verify with other Ion users that they have the
same trouble, or maybe get some tips on getting the video to
play.

The symptoms were that video is jerky, and audio is a little
off and also jerky. myth was taking up 70-90% of the CPU.
(It plays mpeg2 flawlessly.)

I've played with various settings but most don't have any
affect. The biggest help was turning off the de-interlacer
entirely.

I was running version 190 of the driver. I upgraded to 195
and now Bob Costas sounds like he's on helium.

I had allocated only 256M of video memory. I upped this
to 512M with no improvement.

So, is there no way to play mpeg4 on one of these guys ?

Thanks!