[mythtv-users] Rebuild system, keep recordings info

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 1 18:56:38 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 02:58 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>> Yep.  So you restore the /complete/ database, then you use Delete all
>> capture cards (not Delete all capture cards on<hostname>) and Delete all
>> video sources to clean out the bad Input Connections configuration:
>>   http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
>>
> I've given this a try and it's not gone how I thought it would. I did
> the "Delete All" things and then went into channel editor to do a
> scan. I tried to get the channel data in 2 ways:
>
> 1) Import channels.conf by specifying the location of the
> channels.conf file as /tmp/ (this is where I'd put it from a previous
> run of "scan" at the linux command line. The screen then went blank
> and didn't respond for a good 10 minutes, at which point I did a
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X.
> I also tried specifying the file as /tmp/channels.conf but that didn't
> create any channels.
>
> 2) Do a full scan.This told me that it found x non-duplicate channels
> and y duplicates. I found this horribly confusing because if I
> selected the option to insert the duplicates it wanted me to give them
> all unfriendly numeric names. And if I chose not to insert them I
> ended up with channels missing (in which case perhaps they weren't
> duplicates after all!) How come it finds duplicates? This never used
> to happen to me on previous versions of MythTV when I did channel
> scans.
>
> So I now seem to be stuck, unable to populate the channel data.
> Unfortunately the Frontend Channel Editor pageon the wiki didn't shed
> much light on things either. It simply advises "Perform the proper
> channel scan in mythtv-setup (8-VSB for OTA ATSC or QAM-256 or QAM-64,
> with the frequency list that matches your cable system i.e. Cable,
> Cable HRC, or Cable IRC)". I don't know what that means!

Using the channel scanner is the right approach--channels.conf import
doesn't get much love at all and probably won't work.  The channel
scanner needs some work, so it basically requires you to scan, add all
the dups, then go through and delete the channels that are wrong and
potentially rename/re-calsign channels.

Options are to a) live with the limitations of the channel scanner for
now and do the little bit of extra work it takes, b) keep the old config
that doesn't work, or c) fix the channel scanner (for your
area/channels) yourself.

Or, I suppose, you could drop your 0.22-fixes database, install MythTV
0.21-fixes, configure the backend(s)--including Input Connections
configuration and channel scan--then upgrade to 0.22-fixes, then do a
partial restore of your original 0.22-fixes database into the new
0.22-fixes (upgraded from the "blank" 0.21-fixes-with-channels) database.

Take your pick.  :)

Mike