[mythtv-users] LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X

mythtv at derdev.com mythtv at derdev.com
Wed Jun 30 13:39:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:12:03 -0400, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
wrote:

>> You probably haven't specified DRIVER=iguanaIR or whatever it is
>> that's needed in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, so lircd is trying to talk
>> to the not-actually-backed-by-any-hardware /dev/lirc0 you created.
>
> Apologies, I take that back, your hardware.conf does appear to have
> the right driver set (perils of replying to a reply, didn't look at
> the full original mail). In that case, its probably a different
> problem. Exactly what though, I don't know.

> The IguanaWorks guys were supposedly going to send me hardware so I
> could actually test it and be able to help others using their
> hardware, but they never came through and I got tired of reminding
> them, so their loss (and their users).

Did you do the steps as outlined on the Iguanaworks start page?
http://iguanaworks.net/projects/IguanaIR/wiki/GettingStarted

STEP 1: On Ubuntu platform make sure you have installed LIB USB 1.0 when
you compile.

STEP 3: is a little sparse on getting LIRC compiled nicely from source on
Ubuntu...
http://iguanaworks.net/downloads.php?distro=deb
"We recommend using your distrobution's version of LIRC. You will need to
compile LIRC to support our driver. After you have installed the iguanair
package, add your distros source repository to /etc/apt/sources.list. Then
run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep lirc
sudo apt-get -b source lirc

that should compile lirc packages that support our device. Run "sudo dpkg
-i " to install the packages."

REMEMBER to use apt or dkpg or wajig to "hold" back the several lirc
related libs/packages to prevent them from being re-installed by your
package manager:
  liblircclient-dev liblircclient0 lirc lirc-modules-source

A snippet of my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf contains this

DRIVER="iguanaIR"
DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="My IguanaIR custom config"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER="iguanaIR"
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF="pace/dct50x.conf"
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf only contains this:
include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/pace/dc50xv2.conf"
include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/motorola/dct2244.conf"

My dc50xv2.conf file starts like this
begin remote

# name MotorolaDTA100-PaceDC50X
name dc50x
bits 24
flags XMP
eps 20
aeps 300

My channel change script in /usr/local/bin/   looks like this:
#!/usr/bin/perl

# make sure to set this string to
# the corresponding remote in /etc/lircd.conf
$remote_name = "dc50x";

sub change_channel {
        my($channel_digit) = @_;
        system ("irsend SEND_ONCE $remote_name $channel_digit");
        sleep .3;
}

system ("irsend set_transmitters 1");
$channel=$ARGV[0];
sleep .3;
if (length($channel) > 2) {
        change_channel(substr($channel,0,1));
        change_channel(substr($channel,1,1));
        change_channel(substr($channel,2,1));
} elsif (length($channel) > 1) {
        change_channel(substr($channel,0,1));
        change_channel(substr($channel,1,1));
} else {
        change_channel(substr($channel,0,1));
}
system ("rc SEND_ONCE $remote_name KEY_ENTER");