[mythtv-users] LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jun 30 13:06:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM, James Crow <crow.jamesm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps a lirc user group is better? But, I don't know of any and the
>> doc on the lirc site isn't too helpful for me.

Uhm. Visit lirc.org and check out the list of links near the top left.
(Hint: one of them is titled "Mailing list").

>> $ sudo lircd -H=?
>> Driver `=?' not supported.
>> Supported drivers:
>>        iguanaIR
>>
> I think the syntax is:
> sudo lircd -H iguanaIR
> I also think you only need to pass the driver for testing. Your
> configuration file lists the driver to use and the init.d script
> references it.
>>
>> So, by this command, I assume I have iguanaIR successfully installed in LIRC

You have LIRC compiled with iguanaIR support. You didn't "install"
iguanaIR in LIRC. :)

>> There is no /dev for lircd (like /dev/lirc0) so I created one.

Stop doing that. Its wrong. lirc device nodes are only created when
the IR hardware is driven by an lirc_foo kernel driver. The iguanaIR
devices use a userspace driver. There should never be a /dev/lirc[0-9]
in your setup.

>> But, everytime I start lircd and try irsend it times out:
>>
> On my 10.04 system (with MCE remote), the /dev/lirc0 device is created
> when the kernel module loads.

This is correct.

> /dev/lircd is a link pointing to
> /var/run/lirc/lircd which is a socket.

As is this -- at least for the Ubuntu case (the symlink is created by
the ubuntu lirc initscript, iirc).

> The socket exists whether or
> not lircd is running.

But this is not correct. The actual socket should only exist when
lircd is running, because its lircd that creates the socket.

>> $ sudo irsend  send_once DC50X Enter
>> irsend: timeout
>>
>> Then when I look at dmesg:
>>
>> [82561.692642] lircd[30807]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040eafa sp
>> 00007fff2d440ec0 error 4 in lircd[400000+17000]
>>

>> What could be going on?

You probably haven't specified DRIVER=iguanaIR or whatever it is
that's needed in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, so lircd is trying to talk
to the not-actually-backed-by-any-hardware /dev/lirc0 you created.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com