[mythtv-users] JYA release repo + jaunty problems with mythbackend starting

David Asher asherml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 02:11:46 UTC 2010

On Jun 29, 2010, at 9:39 PM, David Asher wrote:

> It looks like the JYA release mythtv-backend package on jaunty now tries to use upstart to start the job (/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend is GONE).
>
> Unfortunately mythtv-backend doesn't start for me.  When I try to do it by hand I get:
>
> $ sudo start mythtv-backend
> start: Unknown job: mythtv-backend
> $
>
> Can any one help me?  I have NO idea how upstart works.  Pointers to what to look at would be great.  I did check that upstart was installed:
>
> $ aptitude search upstart
> i   upstart                                               - event-based init daemon
> i   upstart-compat-sysv                                   - compatibility for System-V-like init
> i   upstart-logd                                          - boot logging daemon
>
> JYA, did you intend to switch the 9.04 mythtv-backend package over to upstart?
>
> Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> David.

Replying to myself to provide a little more information.  /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf DOES exist, but I still can't get upstart to recognize mythtv-backend as a valid job.

Any way to get "start" to give me some info about why it doesn't think there is a job named mythtv-backend.  the man page doesn't help.

David.