[mythtv-users] Why won't MythBuntu shut down?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 29 19:43:11 UTC 2010

On 06/29/2010 03:38 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, James Oltman wrote:
>
>> I'm running a fresh install of MythBuntu 10.04 x64.  When I exit as far out
>> as I can and choose "Exit and Shutdown" the machine never shuts down or
>> exits MythFE.  I have to choose to Exit and then shut the machine down
>> through XFCE.  I thought I read a bug fix where 10.04 mythbuntu was having
>>

> <snip>
>
> Suggest you:
> 1) Check the logs to see if there is a helpful clue
> 2) Check the gossamer threads mailing list archive for clues
>
> IIRC, the problem I had required that the right user (whatever is
> running MythTV BE, or maybe it was the FE?) needed to have an entry
> allowing that user to invoke the right command (halt? shutdown?)
> without requiring a password (**ever!**).
>
> Sorry I can't be more specific -- I'm on the road right now.

May also be related to the dbus-shutdown-related changes.  I don't know
what currently works and doesn't work in 0.23-fixes for that.  The
Mythbuntu devs would know better.

I know this is completely counter-intuitive, but please try going into
mythfrontend settings and changing "Reboot command" and "Halt command"
to be empty (rather than "reboot" and "halt", respectively).

Mike