[mythtv-users] sudden change in recording start-up time

malcolm malcolm.torrent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 19:19:27 UTC 2010

This is a tricky one, I thought I had my Mythtv system licked with the
recent update to Mythbuntu 10.04 but...

Problem Statement:
Starting live tv or any recording on the frontend an it buffers for 63s
or so. Its only just started to do this recently after being fine for
weeks since I installed 10.04.

Hardware Set-up:
I have an master backend/frontend recording terrestrial TV which works
great, this serves recordings to itself, a remote frontend in the lounge
and to a PS3 via mythtv mediaserver.
Backend is an AMD 3GHz PC with 1GB RAM
The frontend is dual core with 4GB RAM
Both master and remote systems run Mythbuntu 10.04.
My network is Base 1000.

Investigation / Diagnostics to date:
Playback of recordings on the PS3 via mediaserver buffers for 2-3s
before playing.
Start-up on the master frontend or recording or live TV is typically 3-4s.
Videos shared from a separate media server (QNAP box) buffer and play
after 1-2s on both the all frontends and the PS3.
The backend doesn't report any significant increase in load when serving
recordings.

I'm assuming I've broken something in the set-up / config of the remote
frontend and have somehow 'asked' the system to buffer for an extra 60s.
I have no recollection of changing anything but the sharp decline in WAF
means I need to resort to your expert help.

My fallback is to completely rebuild the remote frontend but without
knowing what I've done wrong, I'm not convinced its the best action.

any ideas?