[mythtv-users] Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 14:08:16 UTC 2010

Thanks for your replyes, I am not any expert on this, so I must read
lots before start to config the partition, I used to select automatic
partition on my last Debian installs.

For the second drive, ¿which will be the ideal one? ¿SSD? My HTPC has
a small box, so it will be 2,5 inches, it is SATA.

Thanks for all your help.

2010/6/28 Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>:

> On 28 Jun 2010, at 11:49, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
>> channels, the PC has 1TB hard drive. How I must partition it?
>
> I'd partition is all as LVM and all as one XFS partition for /var/lib/mythtv or /media/mythtv whatever you prefer, the Debian installer makes this really easy from first install.
>
> I'd put / on another disk entirely, doesn't need to be a big disk but it makes a massive difference to performance, also makes everything much quieter without all that seeking back and forth for recordings and database updates.
>
> There's a wiki entry all about optimisations, that talks about file systems.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance
>

>> I want to use all 1TB to record TV programs, I have an other 1TB NAS
>> (Samba) to store films, music and fotos.
>
> The recommendation is to mount one level up so myth can see if it's not available, /media with a /videos directory inside rather than /media/videos
>
>> I want to install Debian Squeeze.
>
> Ubuntu is better supported on here but I'm sure Debian can be used if that's your preference.
>

>> Thanks and regards.
>>
>> --
>> Josu Lazkano

Josu Lazkano