[mythtv-users] weather.com Terms of Use

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jun 28 12:08:02 UTC 2010

On 6/28/2010 07:26, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Seeing the maps etc from weather.com being dropped from trunk and
> 0.23-fixes makes me wonder how people are reading the Terms of Use.
>
> The current interpretation seems to be that nobody is allowed to write a
> web browser because it would cause the data from weather.com to be
> downloaded and displayed - just like MythWeather does in fact.
>
> What am I missing here - the data is NOT being republished, distributed,
> or anything else apart for my own eyes. All the pages (in fact even the
> images from the maps) have attributes on them so what is the problem?

Straight from the ticket related to the closing

"You may not modify, publish, transmit, display, participate in the
transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of
the content, in whole or in part."

MythWeather considers itself a derivative work.  Unlike a web browser,
there is no good faith attempt to render the content as TWC intended.
According to that interpretation, that would in fact mean browsers like
Opera Mobile which reshape web pages to better fit a mobile device, and
addins like NoScript or GreaseMonkey would not be allowed to use the
service.