[mythtv-users] channel icon download fails

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 04:25:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to download channel icons via mythtv-setup I am getting the
>>> following errors ...
>>>
>>> 2010-06-27 14:38:07.482 HttpComms::Timeout for url:
>>> http://lyngsat-logo.com/logo/tv/aa/ae_us.jpg
>>> 2010-06-27 14:38:07.501 Server returned an error status code 0 for url:
>>> http://lyngsat-logo.com/logo/tv/aa/ae_us.jpg
>>>
>>> Navigating to the link in a browser works fine.

OK, here's the scoop.  It seems that the URLs we fetch from return a 301
(Permanent Redirect).  This means we hit the server twice.  That's normally
OK, *BUT* mythtv-setup doesn't cache DNS lookups, so it is hitting your DNS
resolver (as setup by /etc/resolv.conf) repeatedly.  IF your DNS lookups are
slow, it takes forever, and the logo download will exceed the 10s which
seems to be the default timeout in the code.

So...  I am considering changing the timeout to 20s, but additionally, use
faster DNS servers.  If you are up for running your own caching server, that
will likely be the best over-all, but otherwise, you are likely best off
pointing /etc/resolv.conf to google's public DNS caches (8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4).