[mythtv-users] can't shutdown from frontend after recent 0.23-fixes update?

Ginsu Squirrel ginsu.squirrel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 16:03:28 UTC 2010

On 06/26/2010 06:47 AM, Jack Perveiler wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Ginsu Squirrel
> <ginsu.squirrel at gmail.com <mailto:ginsu.squirrel at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/25/2010 06:46 PM, Jack Perveiler wrote:
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     After a recent update of 0.23-fixes (don't know the original rev,
>>     but the new one is r25154) I lost the ability to shutdown my
>>     remote,  diskless frontend with the system exit key.  It's set to
>>     "esc", and if I hit "esc" from the main menu I do get the 3-item
>>     dialog box (Are you sure you want to exit? No, Yes, Yes and
>>     Shutdown).
>>
>>     "No" indeed cancels, and "Yes" indeed closes mythfrontend.  "Yes
>>     and Shutdown does" nothing (neither exits mythfrontend nor shuts
>>     down the system).
>>
>>     Any hints?  I haven't changed any settings so I'm guessing
>>     something changed underneath me when i updated the myth
>>     packages.  I'm certain I'm not providing enough information, but
>>     I honestly don't know what to provide that would be relevant.
>>     Here's the full version information:
>>
>>     mythfrontend --version
>>     xprop:  unable to open display ''
>>     Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>>     MythTV Version   : 25154
>>     MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
>>     Network Protocol : 56
>>     Library API      : 0.23.201000617-1
>>     QT Version       : 4.5.2
>>     Options compiled in:
>>      linux debug using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack
>>     using_pulseoutput using_backend using_dvb using_firewire
>>     using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun
>>     using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
>>     using_libudev using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
>>     using_opengl_vsync using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
>>     using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw
>>     using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
>>     using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live
>>     using_mheg
>>
>>     Is there a database setting saying what should happen with the
>>     "Yes and shutdown" exit is selected?  I see a few options for
>>     server shutdown scripts etc, but their descriptions (and names)
>>     suggest that they're for shutting down/waking up remote backends
>>     and not frontends.  I'm happy to be told otherwise though ;)
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     --Jack

>     If you have no configuration option to set what Shutdown does, it
>     sounds like you are using the Mythbuntu packages.  They force you
>     to use dbus as the only shutdown/reboot options, and the dbus
>     shutdown is currently broken.  See
>     http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8556
>

> Yes, I'm running Mythbuntu, although my myth packages are from JYA's
> release repository.
>
> I'm admittedly ignorant of most of what bug 8556 is saying though...
> for educational purposes can you clarify a bit?
>
> 1) How do the mythbuntu packages force you to use dbus?
> 2) Is the dbus shutdown brokenness due to myth, or to something else
> [...]
1) Stock myth has the option to use custom commands to reboot/shutdown
or to fall back on dbus as the method to do so.  A patch included in the
mythbuntu packages has a comment that says "Fixes up the shutdown
behavior so users can't break it" which removes the custom commands and
only uses the dbus methods.
2) The brokenness is due to myth, see #3.
3) Yes, that is the problem.  To use dbus, qtdbus is required, and a
change was made to trunk and subsequently backported to fixes that
modified the method configure uses to find qtdbus.  Due to the bug
described in my ticket, configure is unable to find qtdbus, so the the
dbus functionality is disabled.
4) This is due to mythbuntu's patch, as described in #1.