[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 23:58:02 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 11:50 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 25 June 2010 16:36, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> The detail that I was missing was that you can not tell from software if you are outputting analog or digital. This explains a
>> lot about why the menus confuse me so much.
>
> Actually, I should add that *some* cards report if a device is a
> digital one or not.
> Like on one PC of mine, the iec958, states that it's a digital device.
> On the other PC, the iec958 doesn;t.
>
> I could always test usual pattern, like if the device names contains
> "analog" I can hopefully, safely assume it's an analog device..
>
> default, is more troublesome. It could be anything..

Could you put the choice between SPDIF, HDMI and Analog before the list of devices and filter the list of devices appropriately?
That way you would not have to try and guess what "default" means since the user would have already told you.
You could even filter out bad choices like "PulseAudio:default", and force the user to type it in manually if they REALLY want
to use it :-P
The only time this is likely to break is if a 4th option is added to the SPDIF HDMI Analog selection, because the 4th option
would not be there. But I guess the user could type it in until the 4th option gets added in a later update.

> spdif, iec958, hdmi, could assume it's digital..

Arn't SPDIF and IEC958 the same thing? or is IEC958 ambiguous as well?

If I had to choose, I'd go with a larger set of blatantly obvious choices, than a smaller set of ambiguous choices.