[mythtv-users] LiveTV on slave backends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 25 17:39:30 UTC 2010

On 06/25/2010 09:40 AM, Steve Hill wrote:

> If all the inputs on the master backend are in use and the slave
> backend is powered off, selecting "Watch TV" in a frontend causes the
> frontend to display an "All inputs are in use" message, rather than
> trying to wake the slave.  If I manually wake the slave then it works
> fine (but I have to make sure I hit "Watch TV" in the short period
> between the slave connecting and deciding it is idle and shutting down
> again; which basically means I need to watch the log scrolling by).
>
> Is it possible to get the slave backend to automatically wake when it
> is needed for live TV (either because all the other inputs are in use,
> or because the user has selected a channel that is only available from
> a specific backend)?  I realise that this will require a "Please
> wait..." message to be displayed until the slave finishes booting, but
> that's better than the current situation.
>
> (As an aside, sometimes the "all inputs are in use" box doesn't
> respond to me hitting "select" on my remote control and I have to ssh
> into the machine and restart the frontend).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/373731#373731

See NOTE2.  I'm sure if you wanted to add code to give the user another
option if there are any sleeping remote backends to pop up a dialog
allowing the user to choose from the list of sleeping backends and wake
one it would be considered for inclusion.

Mike