[mythtv-users] HDPVR for $169 at buy.com

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Jun 24 21:09:41 UTC 2010

On 6/24/2010 12:25 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Some of the problems with CableCards are the training requirements for cable company employees. They seem to like to hire
> no-nothings and "train" them, rather than hire competent technicians, I guess they can get trainees cheaper than educated
> technical types, and anything that increases the training time/cost is something they want to avoid.
>
> I asked about CableCard at my local cable office, and they had to go get "the guy" who knew anything about them. Note the
> singular.

Oh yea. And having working in the cable industry (granted, 20yrs ago), I could absolutely confirm this.

Typically, there's *maybe* 1 engineer in the office. (and a single office might cover multiple towns like the place I worked) They used to be RF engineers. This would sort of exclude them from knowing much about anything computer/digital based.

With the bottom line being so low at most cable co's these days, it wouldn't surprise me if you were talking to trained monkeys.

When I had problems with my comcast internet, eventually through another list, I managed to get a message to the VP of engineering who eventually got me an engineer on the phone.

I fixed the problem myself before he could figure out what my problem was.

Wee... (I had similar issues with my DSL company years ago. I had to figure that one out for them as well.)

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net