[mythtv-users] Netgear EVA9150 and MythTV

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 18:59:40 UTC 2010

>> I'm running 0.23 BE on an ARM SheevaPlug right now.
>
> That sounds encouraging. I wonder if, as the database got larger, it would be a bottleneck. I assume you were using USB
> tuners of some sort? With everything from storage drives to the OS to tuners running on the USB bus that might become a
> problem as well.

I'm using an HDHR to record to a USB 2.5" hard drive, and see about
10-20% CPU utilization (@1.2GHz) recording a single HD program or when
crawling EIT for EPG.

I agree there are definitely scalability issues, so users with more
recording needs would do well to use HDHR if using USB storage or
eSATA* storage if using USB tuners. For scaling up, you could move to
NAS for storage and wake up slave BE(s) with more tuners.

As for the DB becoming a bottleneck, time will tell... I'll be glad to
post back here if I run into any issues. As the Sheeva has an excess
of RAM for this task, turning on write-back caching might be an option
(I have it on a UPS).

There's been a lot of action on the low-power/quiet FE front, what
with Intel Atom CPUs, ION boards, VDPAU, etc. Now it's time to slim
down those BEs too. :)

* Sheeva doesn't have eSATA, but there are other Sheeva-like devices that do.