[mythtv-users] Netgear EVA9150 and MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 23 23:04:54 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, June 23, 2010 04:37:55 pm Jason Ward wrote:
> On 23 June 2010 23:14, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you mean actually *run* MythTV on the device I'd say no chance at
> >> all.
> >
> > Yes, I did mean *run*, any reason why you say "no chance at all"?  I'm
> > pretty certain its base OS is Linux already, and its clearly capable
> > of video playback including HD (so I'd hope playback performace should
> > MythTV ever be able to run on the device would be great).
>
> I can confirm indeed the Netgear EVA9150 runs Linux, the source code
> can be downloaded here
> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649 which I have done,
> however much as I would really love to start hacking the code myself,
> I am afraid I haven't got a clue where to start, but I got two of the
> things and would be very willing to help in anyway I could should
> someone want to start playing in that direction.

If "running Linux" were all that was required we'd see Myth running on TONS of old TiVos. While I (and others) feel that
TiVo perverted the GPL, it also showed the way for others wanting to do the same thing.

But it might happen, I never thought I'd see an MVP be as good a frontend as it was.

Probably just getting a frontend to run would be a good initial goal.