[mythtv-users] Netgear EVA9150 and MythTV

Jason Ward jasonfward at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 22:14:45 UTC 2010

On 23 June 2010 23:00, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 23, 2010 03:45:27 pm Jason Ward wrote:
> > Have any very clever people ever tried to get MythTV working on the Netgear
> > EVA9150 devices?
> >
> > A quick google would suggest not, but I wanted to go to the horses mouth if
> > you will and ask.
>
> If you mean actually *run* MythTV on the device I'd say no chance at all.

Yes, I did mean *run*, any reason why you say "no chance at all"?  I'm
pretty certain its base OS is Linux already, and its clearly capable
of video playback including HD (so I'd hope playback performace should
MythTV ever be able to run on the device would be great).

> I would have thought you could use it as a player/renderer for the UPnP server in Myth, but I don't see any mention of
> UPnP capability in their ads.

Their uPnP integration is badly broken, requiring a special piece of
Windows software running 24x7, so in my view, not uPnP but something
else proprietary.

> Seems like a lot of money for something that's just a local media player, it won't work with any internet source like
> Netflix.

At the time of launch Netgear promised much, and indeed for many
months continued to release beta versions of their firmware, but last
December they just stopped without explanation and left those of us
that though we were getting something really good high and dry.  There
are ways to get Netflix etc working with the Netgear, but you need to
run PlayOn on a Windows machine.