[mythtv-users] dtv, ivtv swapping /dev/video0,1 across reboots

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 01:27:35 UTC 2010

On 23 June 2010 01:21, Harry Coin <hcoin at quietfountain.com> wrote:
> I have a debian lenny backend, it has an ivtv card and a dvico dtv card.
> Sometimes when it boots the ivtv is video0, and the dtv is video1, sometimes
> the dtv is /dev/video0 and the ivtv hauppauge is video1.   I think it has
> something to do with how fast firmware loads but I really can't tell.
>
> How does a person always cause each particular pci card to get the same
> /dev/video# is systems with two tuner cards that are not the same mythtv
> driver class no matter what?

You can either use udev rules to control node creation, or you can
have modules control their own node numbering (if they support it).

Udev rules, although very flexible, can be complex to configure
(although general boiletplate rules can just be "dropped it"), whilst
modules such as bttv and ivtv support controlling the numbering of
/dev/videoX nodes via their video_nr and ivtv_first_minor module
options respectively, and are simple to add.

All discussed here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/373929#373929

Cheers,
Nick