[mythtv-users] Adding another tuner to Mythbuntu 10.04 running .23-fixes

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 11:58:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 09:51 PM, Christopher Kerr wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>>

>>> What is the best way to go about this?
>>>

>>> Run mythtv-setup and remove all
>>> Shutdown and install the new card
>>> Run mythtv-setup and reinstall all tuners
>>>
>>> Any input would be appreciated
>>>

>> Seems overly complex to me. I've had no problems with "Plug it in, run
>> mythtv-seup, add the new capture card, create the input connection,
>> have lunch, check that new schedule is correct", even for USB tuners
>> that I've plugged in whilst the system was running.
>>
>> I suppose this method might be undesirable if you use the "add the
>> tuners in the right order" method for helping LiveTV play nice with
>> MultiRec, but that's about it.
>>
>> That said, since setting up capture cards only takes a few seconds, I
>> can't see any harm in your way, since it'll leave the video sources
>> and channel listings alone.
>>

> And it allows you to "add the tuners" (really connect the inputs) "in the
> right order" for helping the scheduler to use the proper inputs (connected
> to the proper sources) in the right order for normal, non-Live-TV recordings
> (since input priorities are evil and don't do what you think they do).
>
> Live TV or not, inputs should be connected in the right order.
>
> If, however, all inputs and video sources are equivalent, then just do as
> Chris said--add a new capture card, connect the input, and enjoy.
>
> Mike

All cards will be using the same source (OTA antenna) and Schedules
Direct listing data.

Couple of reasons for removing and reinstalling cards.

The tuners that I have are
(2)  DVICO FUSIONHDTV7 DUAL EXPRESS (PCe)
(2)  PCHD 5500 (PCI)

I think the PCe devices will be recognized first over PCI devices.  If
I was to just add the additional PCe device I think it would append to
the existing tuner list.

So by removing and reinstalling I think the order would be -

Dvico 1
Dvico 2
Dvico 3
Dvico 4
HD5500 1
HD5500 2

The other reason is a nagging audio problem usually associated with
FOX channel in Chicagoland.  I'd like to see if a new channel scan
might fix.  It's been about a year since my last scan.

I don't use any input priorities or preferred inputs for recordings.
The audio problem has not been fixed by using different input cards
for recordings(The only time I set it for diagnosing).