[mythtv-users] Considering switching to Dish Network from cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 21 20:29:54 UTC 2010

On Monday, June 21, 2010 02:08:12 pm Phil Bridges wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  I noticed they had those funky HD / SD
> boxes.  I planned on getting a couple Solo VIP 211Ks to run
> independently.

That's a good way to go. To make sure they don't try to stick you with a single dual-channel receiver tell them you need
to have HD on both "sets", or that there is a problem running cable to the second "set".

There's nothing inherently wrong with the dual-channel units. I use the second channel of my 722 to feed SD to my Mom next
door, using the UHF modulator, which works fine for SD. If you need HD the second output is useless, and, as I said, has to
be controlled by RF. As long as you understand and can live with the limitations, the dual units are OK.

The DISH receivers also want to get a download every day. You can set the time at which this happens, but I have not found
a way to stop it. It leaves the receiver in a condition where a "select" code is required to get back to normal, I just
send a "select" before each channel change.

You'll also want a phone line connected to one of the receivers, if you can't do that you may lose access to programming
that has geographical limitations (sporting events) and PPV. You may want to disable the caller ID display, so it doesn't
show up in middle of a recording (I speak from experience :-).