[mythtv-users] playback stutters after playing for a while

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 04:06:42 UTC 2010

On 20/06/2010 9:58 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> When I playback material captured via firewire, the playback will
> begin to stutter after playing for a bit.  I can restart X and
> playback the material and it will be fine for a few minutes.  Same
> with rebooting or shutting off the computer and restarting it,
> although it takes longer for the stuttering to start when I do this.
> This is a new issue; I have been playing this material with no
> problems for years.  I am using a GeForce 6200 (no xvmc) and a Sempron
> 3100+.  I know the processor is pushing the limits for HD playback but
> as I mentioned, it did work before with virtually no playback issues.
> Using the normal playback settings.

If I could suggest, try using top to see what is taking your CPU time
and memory. Chances are you are near, or at, the capacity of your RAM,
and the swapping to hard-drive is causing the stuttering you're seeing.

Potential solutions include: Making sure unnecessary daemons are
disabled, adding more RAM.