[mythtv-users] Intel HD graphics on Core i5 with HDPVR output: success stories/opinions ?

mike mikpolniak at roadrunner.com
Sun Jun 20 19:51:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:04:26 -0400
Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:

> On 06/20/2010 01:38 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM, mike <mikpolniak at roadrunner.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Is it worth investing in the Clarkdale core i5 CPU and using the
> >> integrated graphics on mythrontend?
> >>
> >> I already have frontends with nvidia and ati working with HDPVR
> >> output, so just considering Clarkdale.
> >
> > Intel graphics aren't currently capable of hardware-accelerated
> > decoding in mythtv, and on top of that, they have miserable vsync
> > issues that lead to visible tearing in many cases. You're much
> > better off using nvidia graphics. X folks have promised for years
> > they'd fix the vsync thing, and someone worked on it briefly once,
> > but the fix didn't pan out, and so far as I know, nobody with the
> > know-how cares enough to come up with a proper fix. I could be
> > wrong though.
>
> FWIW, I've got a system with Intel graphics, although it's not an i5
> system. (It's a Celeron E3300 CPU on an Intel DG43NB motherboard
> using a G43 Express chipset with integrated graphics.) I use it to
> drive a "720p" (really 1360x768) HDTV via a VGA port. I have no
> problems with video tearing and the system has no problems keeping up
> with HD content.
>

> As long as the system being built supports an add-on PCIe card
> (including both motherboard support and room in the case to add the
> thing), you can start out with just about anything on the motherboard.
> The worst-case scenario is that you'll need to shell out a few more
> dollars for a new video card.

I have one of the new Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 mini-ITX coming in:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/06/15/gigabyte-ga-h55n-usb3-mini-itx-motherboard/1

So until i hear otherwise i will just use an nvidia card with it,
If i find a great price on a i5 530 cpu then i'll try the Intel
graphics.