[mythtv-users] hdhomerun deal @ Newegg

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 19 22:16:12 UTC 2010

On Saturday, June 19, 2010 04:05:23 pm Erik Hovland wrote:
> If you are an avid follower of this list then you probably know that
> SiliconDust is pretty close to releasing
> their follow-up of the HDHomeRun.

> That means that we should probably
> start seeing close-out
> deals on the current product. And so, newegg has done us a favor and
> dropped the price to $79.99:
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AF
> C-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16815345001

Looks like this is the single-tuner model, nothing wrong with that, but I like my dual-tuner unit. I can set one up for
QAM and the other for ATSC.

> It was $69.99 for a short time. So it will likely fall to that price again.
>
> Note, I have an HDHomeRun and I love it. I am sure many of the people
> on this list
> will say the same. Probably the best way to get HD content into your
> Mythbox.

That is, if you can get it as ATSC or unencrypted QAM, otherwise the HD-PVR is the only solution I'm aware of.

I agree it's a great unit, for someone who has multiple OTA channels available (I have but one), or someone whose cable
company is still sending useful channels as unencrypted QAM (like me, but when Cablevision takes over I expect that to go
away).