[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sat Jun 19 18:05:20 UTC 2010

On 06/19/2010 01:03 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 19 June 2010 16:05, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> There are so many mixers & volume controls & other tools to set up sound on this system (and no clear indicator which is the
>> right one to use and which ones are leftovers), I'm not sure what you are talking about here.
>
> You want digital audio passthrough..
>
> Using a mixer is NOT going to work for digital period...

And saying something about a volume control without telling me the actual name of the program you are talking about doesn't help
either.
BTW, it is toggling the mute button in the mixer that gets the audio pass through working. I agree that using the mixer should
not do anything for digital sound, but it does.

>>> -Uninstall pulse audio
>>
>> I'm going to hold off on this one.
>
> Then don't be surprised that things don't work the way you want ti

I assume that the guys at Ubuntu had a reason for adding Pulse Audio to the system. It is certainly not the sound server as I
doubt many people want to distribute the sound output from one computer to another.
I don't know why Pulse Audio was added, so I don't know what I will be loosing if I remove it.

>>> -You have another audio card there with SPDIF output, (the microsoft
>>> one), try this one instead.
>>
>> The ONLY Microsoft item on this computer is a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema that I plugged in today. It has a microphone, but no
>> sound output capability.
>
> Well, not according to your logs ; it lists a SPDIF output

Yah, I looked at the logs, and the logs refer to the Microsoft LifetCam Cinema as an audio output device. It is not. It is a USB
web cam, and they may have used an off the shelf audio chip that Linux recognizes, but they did not connect the outputs of that
chip to anything. There are no outputs of any kind on that camera, it has a lens a microphone and a button on it and nothing
else. If I were to select that as an output, which I can't because it does not show up as an output device anywhere else but the
log files, I would not be able to connect it to anything capable of making sound.

> Anyhow, it seems that you don't care much about my solutions, so I
> will leave you to it... you obviously don't need my assistance

Why so touchy? I appreciate your help, and am willing to do many things to my computer to help you debug, but I won't jump off a
cliff because you say so. Before I do something to my computer, I like to have a good idea what it is going to do, and how to
undo whatever it is I'm about to do. With removing Pulse Audio, I have neither.