[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup without GUI

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 22:51:38 UTC 2010

On 18/06/2010 4:36 PM, Jason Ward wrote:

> On 18 June 2010 10:05, Per Jørgensen <myth at pbj-design.dk
> <mailto:myth at pbj-design.dk>> wrote:
>
>     The option is to forward your Xserver to another host - and run
>     mythtv-setup from that!
>
> 1. Would it be possible/advisable to run a frontend like this?
> 2. Can someone direct me at instructions on how to forward X-Server?

If your host is a Windows-based system, you will need to install an
X-server first. Xming is good, and free
(http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/)

Once you have that, you can configure PuTTY to enable X forwarding over SSH.

If your host is a Linux or OSX based system, you can simply use "ssh -Y
user at machinename" to connect to machinename with X forwarding.

Once you have that, it's a simple call to "mythsetup" to set things up.

While you could watch video that way, it would be done with no
acceleration whatsoever (you'd get around 3FPS with a good connection),
and no audio at all (In theory you could run a pulseaudio daemon on your
local system and forward the audio to that, but Myth doesn't support
pulseaudio at the moment), so the performance would be much less than
stellar.