[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 20:55:52 UTC 2010

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:55:14 -0700
From: Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

On 06/18/2010 01:58 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 18 June 2010 17:17, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> These are the options I have under "Audio output device:"
>>
>> ALSA:front:card=intel,DEV=0
>> ALSA:front:card=HDMI
>> ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>> ALSA:null
>> ALSA:pulse
>> ALSA:surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>> ALSA:surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>> ALSA:surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>> ALSA:surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>> ALSA:surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>> PulseAudio:default
>> /dev/dsp
>> /dev/dsp2
>> /dev/adsp
>> JACK:output
>> NULL
>> ALSA:default
>>
>> Of these, PulseAudio:default would be my first choice, but this causes the front end to hang.
>
> what version of pulseaudio are you running ?

1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 This is the version that Ubuntu 10.04 installed.

>> ALSA:pulse is my second choice, this also causes the front end to hang.
>>
>> I tried ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0, but I got noise instead of sound.
>
> This will occur if you have checked AC3 and DTS, but your amp doesn't
> support it.

I did check those, and my amp does support them, and they work with the ALSA:default setting.

> You say you have two audio cards in your system, the onboard one and
> the video card one, which I'm guessing would be ALSA:front:card=HDMI
>>
>> ALSA:default gets me sound with "Speaker configuration" set to 5.1 or 7.1 and DTS and Dolby Digital enabled. If I try setting
>> "Speaker configuration" to stereo, the pass through options disappear.
>
> you don't want stereo based on your system, but if using PulseAudio,
> then you want pulse because that's the default of pulse...
>
> if ALSA:default is at the end, it sees it because that's what you
> manually entered before and it's there as the original setting

This was an option on 0.23, I only entered it manually when I thought it was not there on .24

>> The rest of the options don't seem like they are appropriate, or I have no idea what they mean, so I did not try them.
>>

>> I leave the "Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround" unchecked because my receiver can do that, and the receiver will tell me when it
>> is getting surround or just stereo then.
>
> in any case, unless you provide the audio logs I've asked earlier, I
> wont' be able to help any further

attached find "mythlog.txt" the result of running "$ mythfrontend -v audio -l mythlog.txt"
also find "mythfrontend.log extract.txt" log entries for today from the mythfrontend.log file.

While mythfront end was running, I selected "Live TV" I got no audio, so I hit "esc".
I heard a pop from the speakers, so I hoped the audio system had self corrected so I selected "Live TV" again.
I still had no audio so I hit "esc" again, brought up the mixer app, clicked on the mute button on the master volume control
twice, then selected "Live TV" again.
This time I got sound.
This channel was doing Dolby Digital, so I switched to another channel that was not, then hit "esc" and closed mythfrontend.

(I resent this with the log files compressed to avoid the moderator delay for messages longer than 40K)