[mythtv-users] Random Video Playback

Kevin Klinger kevin.klinger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 15:04:42 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have maybe an unusual question. I have a rather large collection of
videos (north of 4000) and frequently I don't feel like choosing one in
particular to watch. I was wondering if there's some way to play a
random video from the collection?

Previously what I did is setup a special file extension linked to a
script to play a random one using mplayer. I like the idea of storage
groups in the new mythtv and so wanted to see if I could set something
up with that. The problem of course is that storage groups only work
with the internal player.

Does anyone know how or if I can start the internal player using a script?

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to them.

Thanks,

Kevin