[mythtv-users] looking for 64 bit Flash Linux plugin

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 17 21:40:31 UTC 2010

On Thursday, June 17, 2010 03:35:31 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 05:30 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> >>
> >> On the bright side, the 64-bit Flash 10.1 plugin was known to crash
> >> MythBrowser (in all its uses--including MythNetvision).  I have a
> >> feeling there's a really good reason why they took it away...  (Pure
> >> speculation, though.)
> >
> > You may be right, but it is useful to some people, like me. I use it on a
> > non-Myth machine.
> >
> > I don't understand why they could not explain the problem, not doing so
> > makes me suspicious. Simply saying that "no additional information is
> > available" sounds very Microsoftish.
>
> Well, that's commercial, proprietary software for you.  (I'm not
> disagreeing at all--just saying that it's about what I'd expect,
> especially for a "disfavored" OS.)

Looks like they have now released more information:

"We have temporarily closed the Labs program of Flash Player 10 for 64-bit Linux, as we are making significant
architectural changes to the 64-bit Linux Flash Player and additional security enhancements. We are fully committed to
bringing native 64-bit Flash Player for the desktop by providing native support for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux 64-bit
platforms in an upcoming major release of Flash Player. We intend to provide more regular update information on our
progress as we continue our work on 64-bit versions of Flash Player. Thank you for your continued help and support. Stay
tuned to the Flash Player discussion forum for further announcements."

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/adobe-temporarily-suspends-64-bit-flash-beta

I agree the question is whether this is "intention or placation".

Interesting "security" solution, if nobody can run it there will be no security problems.

The sad thing is, if they would be more open about the problems, Linux users could almost certainly contribute to a
solution.

But as you said, that's proprietary software for you.