[mythtv-users] OT: dead motherboard or video card?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jun 16 20:54:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 11:39 -0700, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> Installing the new mobo is easy.  Just unscrew the old one and put the
> new one in.

I wish. Have to remove the CPU fan and CPU plus all the cards, memory
chips, disk drives, and cable connections. THEN unscrew the old mobo and
put the new one in. THEN put the CPU and fan back in and replace the
memory chips, hard drives, and all the cables. If I were experienced and
comfortable doing hardware work, then MAYBE it could be done in 2 hours.
For me it is a huge pain in the butt.

Mobos are relatively cheap these days, and finding a compatible one
shouldn't be too hard. So for me, the hassle of doing the replacement is
way more of an issue than the expense.

--Greg