[mythtv-users] how to troubleshoot network congestion problems with mythtv [solved]

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Jun 16 15:24:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Quite true, and made worse by the fact that to most consumers it appears
> that there are 10 or more channels available,
> when they actually overlap, causing there to be just 3 actually individual
> channels, but since people don't know that,

they may well pick a channel they *think* is apart from their neighbors,
> when in fact it is not.

I forgot about that. I really wish they hadn't done that with the channel
numbering. That alone likely causes more problems than it would possibly
solve. Now people that are literate enough to understand they need to avoid
channels in use are trying to do the right thing, not realizing they are
causing problems.

WiFi should only be used for portable roaming machines, not permanent or
> semi-permanent installations, but again you can't
> expect the people selling such gear to tell people that. I plug my laptop
> in to my router when I'm home, using WiFi only
> when traveling or at public hotspots.

I don't go quite that far, but at home I have little RFI so WiFi works OK
for 90% of what I need it to do from a laptop. If I want to move large
amounts of data around between machines locally, I do plug it in though. It
helps that I had access to the house while it was being built, so I just put
a ton of copper in the walls. I would have included fiber if it wasn't so
expensive at the time.  Obviously, many people didn't have the ability to
get cables in the walls durring construction. But there are a lot of ways to
run cable in a hidden way, though they tend to be more expensive and time
consuming. And if you rent, not much you can do unless the landlord is OK
with it. But you can generally run cat5 along baseboards without it being
ugly. It would be nice if there were a good solution for those people, but
sadly, there really isn't. I don't care what the maker of wireless devices
says, they can't touch the performance of copper. It doesn't help that they
advertise the link speed and say nothing about real thoughput, which is
generally about 50% link speed. Far worse if you have more than one client
on that AP, which many people don't run into unless they start messing with
stuff like Myth. :)