[mythtv-users] how to troubleshoot network congestion problems with mythtv [solved]

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 16 13:43:36 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 07:18:53 am Tim Coote wrote:
> For completeness, I thought that I'd note that I've fixed this:
> - the behaviour was anomalous, ping times are now stable at ~4.5ms and
> I know what to look for
> - the root cause was a Nintendo DS plugged into a mains socket. I
> don't know whether the transformer is broken or just letting through
> spikes from the DS onto the mains.
>
> I'm still getting odd spikes, but at least I know that this shouldn't
> happen and I ought to be able to isolate offending items.

I assume the Nintendo is using a wall-wart of some sort? You might try replacing it with a better quality power supply.

Manufacturers use the WWs to save money, and especially the cost of UL or other certifications. Bypass capacitors and
blocking inductors are expensive (meaning over a penny), so they are often simply eliminated. Sometimes the examples
submitted for certification contain such components, but somehow the units actually shipped to consumers are missing them.

Switching power supplies can crate all sorts of crap, and poor filtering allows it onto the mains.

I'd guess users of powerline ethernet systems will discover all sorts of non-compliant devices.