[mythtv-users] Moving to Cablevision, involuntarily

Charles Wright cpwright at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 01:51:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 15, 2010 02:05:38 pm Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>> As far as cable company evil goes they are in the middle of the pack.
>
> I was wondering if they are like Comcast where everything they can legally encrypt is encrypted (as well as some that are
> questionable in that regard), all Firewire is locked down, etc., and it looks like all analog is going away market by
> market.
All broadcast networks are unencrypted.  Everything else except
shopping channels are encrypted.

Firewire is open for everything I get (the basic family package with
Comedy Central, History, etc., but I don't get premium channels so I
don't know their state), but I was not able to make it work reliably
even for OTA stuff.  Instead I'm using an HD-PVR for capture with
firewire only for channel changing.

> I still get many analog channels, but I suspect Bresnan planned to stop that.
There are a fair number of analog channels, but certainly not the majority.

I'm perfectly happy with the Internet and Voice service.  The only
real alternative here is Verizon, and I don't believe they are honest
about their price comparisons.  When you call to sign up for FIOS,
they don't tell you the price they just say "about what you're paying
now", but they add quite a few taxes.  The price you get quoted by
Cablevision includes everything.

Charles