[mythtv-users] Moving to Cablevision, involuntarily

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Jun 15 20:05:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 10:11 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Looks like my small Cable TV supplier and also ISP (Bresnan) is going to be acquired by Cablevision.
>
> I'm also concerned about the ISP functions, like bandwidth caps and the like. At present I have no cap and no port
> blocking, and a human being answers the support line, obviously I'd like to keep that, but I suspect the prospects are
> dim, especially as industry insiders seem to think that Cablevision is grossly over-paying for Bresnan, and of course they
> will want to get that back.

I have the small business internet package. It's advertised as 5 Mbps
upstream and accounts for $80/mo of the bill. I consistently get 4.5
Mbps at peak times and a 5.1 Mbps in the wee hours. In the last couple
years it's been reliable for me, but I know people have had multi day
outages. Their online form for setting up reverse DNS yourself has been
broken for years on Firefox, but you can call them and have their
support personnel do it for you.

As far as cable company evil goes they are in the middle of the pack.

-- Daniel