[mythtv-users] How can I get VNC to start on a machine reboot?

Charles Wright cpwright at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 14:58:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:40 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04 x32.  Fresh install this weekend.  I have
> disabled autologin for my backend server.  I'd like the VNC server to start
> with the machine on reboot.  I'm using the default XFCE desktop.  Using
> Mythbuntu Control Centre I have the VNC service set to start.  I have also
> put in a password in the MCC for VNC.  When I reboot, the VNC service
> doesn't come up.  Is this because it sits at the login screen on a reboot
> and doesn't auto-log me in?  How can I fix that?  Thanks!
>
> Jim
It is possible to set your xorg.conf to start a VNC service, at least
on RHEL5, below are the things from mine for it.  Once xorg starts, I
have a VNC that I can connect to to login to the machine.

Charles

Section "ServerLayout"
        InputDevice    "vncMouse" "ExtraPointer"
        InputDevice    "vncKeyboard" "ExtraKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "vnc"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 # vncKeyboard: keyboard actions from vnc
        Identifier  "vncKeyboard"
        Driver      "rfbkeyb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 # vncMouse: mouse actions from vnc
        Identifier  "vncMouse"
        Driver      "rfbmouse"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Option      "usevnc"
        Option      "rfbauth" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection