[mythtv-users] Freeview Allowed To Use DRM To Curtail Online Piracy

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 07:31:02 UTC 2010

At 07:41 +0100 15/6/10, Simon Waldman wrote:
>  >There's absolutely no need to circumvent the DRM:
>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv >/dev/419424#419424 (and see
>>the rest of the thread, too).
>
>To the best of my knowledge there's nothing illegal about
>circumventing DRM in the UK anyway.

Yet

But in any case, as discussed previously, in the USA where this list
is hosted and quite a few of the developers live, it is illegal to
even discuss it. Therefore it's been declared off topic for this list
- all it takes it just one complaint and their ISP will pull the plug
on the list, in the "shoot first, ask questions later" method
virtually required by their laws.

In terms of what it actually means, I guess we'll need to wait and
see what they actually do to what. Will the XML feel be scrambled,
etc.

--
Simon Hobson