[mythtv-users] Freeview Allowed To Use DRM To Curtail Online Piracy

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jun 14 16:22:44 UTC 2010

On 14 Jun 2010, at 17:09, John Pilkington wrote:

> On 14/06/10 17:02, Brian Wood wrote:

>>> Licence?  A licence to use the DRM?  Some other licence?
>>
>> He may be speaking about the license required for a TV receiver in the UK.
>>
> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/content_mngt/statement/
>
> Ofcom's decision
>
> 1.11 Based on consultation responses and our own assessment of the evidence Ofcom has decided to grant the BBC multiplex licence amendment to allow it to broadcast EPG data in a restricted format, subject to the two following conditions:
>
>    * That the licence required by manufacturers to access broadcast programme data in their equipment is provided by the BBC on a charge free basis (as per the BBC proposal).

Ok, good no whip round required.

>    * That the BBC is only able to restrict the availability of broadcast programme data using the licence amendment for the purposes of securing an effective content management framework on the HD Freeview platform.

Well that's us (and VDR, HTS, Kaffeine etc.) out then, any system that records unencrypted video to a generally available file system without enforcing any of the copy restrictions that the set top boxes are required to do isn't going to fit within "an effective content management framework on the HD Freeview platform."

Back to xmltv and wait for the hack but don't tell anyone, shhhhh.

Andre