[mythtv-users] Freeview Allowed To Use DRM To Curtail Online Piracy

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jun 14 16:09:40 UTC 2010

On 14/06/10 17:02, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday, June 14, 2010 09:44:24 am Jason Ward wrote:
>> On 14 June 2010 14:34, Nick Morrott<knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Huffman tables to implement the DRM on the HD EPG, eh? Like the ones
>>> used in the Freesat EPG? IMO (and having read previous threads on this
>>> on this list and elsewhere) it's only a matter of time before needing
>>> a licence is moot.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>
>>> Which licence?  The MythTV licence refereed to by the OP?  The UK's TV
>>
>> Licence?  A licence to use the DRM?  Some other licence?
>
> He may be speaking about the license required for a TV receiver in the UK.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/content_mngt/statement/

  Ofcom's decision

1.11 Based on consultation responses and our own assessment of the
evidence Ofcom has decided to grant the BBC multiplex licence amendment
to allow it to broadcast EPG data in a restricted format, subject to the
two following conditions:

     * That the licence required by manufacturers to access broadcast
programme data in their equipment is provided by the BBC on a charge
free basis (as per the BBC proposal).
     * That the BBC is only able to restrict the availability of
broadcast programme data using the licence amendment for the purposes of
securing an effective content management framework on the HD Freeview
platform.