[mythtv-users] Freeview Allowed To Use DRM To Curtail Online Piracy

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jun 14 15:56:29 UTC 2010

On 14 Jun 2010, at 16:44, Jason Ward wrote:

> On 14 June 2010 14:34, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Huffman tables to implement the DRM on the HD EPG, eh? Like the ones
> used in the Freesat EPG? IMO (and having read previous threads on this
> on this list and elsewhere) it's only a matter of time before needing
> a licence is moot.
>
> Nick
>
> Which licence?  The MythTV licence refereed to by the OP?  The UK's TV Licence?  A licence to use the DRM?  Some other licence?

The Freeview license to use the EPG huffman tables, part of the logo programme.

We will know if the BBC like "us" if the tables turn out to be the exact same ones they use on Freesat, maybe they just want to save some complexity and feed the Freeview system from the same feed as Freesat.

Anyway the mailing list police will be along in a moment to move us along, they don't like anyone discussing DRM circumvention around here. Somehow I doubt the Freeview HD license would be very compatible with the GPL even if we all had a whip round to pay for it!

Andre