[mythtv-users] Have the Beeb changed their HD transmission quality/standards again?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 14 13:46:02 UTC 2010

On 14 June 2010 13:15, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2010, at 13:05, Another Sillyname wrote:
>>
>> Andre
>>
>> Did you record the last episode of Luther?
>
> Most recent I have is Jun 8th, I haven't watched the first one yet though :-)
>

>> Any chance you could tell me if that was VBR?
>
> Looks like it, file size is smaller than Jun 1st, 5.3MB instead of 7.3MB, VLC says the bitrate varies between 4500 and 10000 kb/s
>
> Andre

Well I didn't expect you to say that......

What's broken in the transcode scripts is the AC3 dump, the video
stream gets handled fine.

I wrote a script that using mencoder resizes the Video down to
1280x720 in H.264 and then separately using mencoder dumps the AC3
audio stream, it's then combined into an mkv using mkvtools.  What's
happening now is the AC3 dump is breaking with the infamous 'to many
samples in the buffer' error.  I'll have to play with a setting to get
the AC3 stream to dump properly again.....What's a bit strange is the
last episode of Luther, which I thought was smaller thus VBR, the
script ran fine and dumped the audio correctly, however the last two
Dr Who's have both broken.

Ho Hum....another few hours of tinkering coming up.

Regards