[mythtv-users] MKV files play without sound in Mythtv

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Mon Jun 14 00:59:28 UTC 2010

MythTV users,

I have Mythbuntu 10.04.

I ripped a DVD using Handbrake into .mkv format, using the "lame" MP3
encoder for sound.

When I attempt to play the file within MythTV Internal player, I get no
sound.

On the same machine, if I close MythTV front end and play the files
using VLC, Totem, or Mplayer, it plays fine.

However, if I go into MythTV setup and select to use any one of those
players in place of "Internal", I get no sound.

For some reason, the MythTV front end will not allow sound for MKV
files. Other file typs, notably old AVI files, play fine.

How do I get sound working consistently in MythTV so that it will play
the sound in my MKV video files?

Any advice much appreciated.

--
Dave M G