[mythtv-users] Consolidation of folders in storage groups

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Jun 12 06:42:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM,  <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>    > Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:06:58 +1000
>    > From: Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>
>
>    > Doesn't that bring me back to the same problem of opening MythVideo and seeing:
>
> I guess I'm confused by what you want.  My point was, if you can
> create any single directory structure that is the way you want it
> laid out, in theory you should be able to create a symlinnk tree
> that accomplishes it---but I have no idea if storage groups will
> go along with it.

OK, I've done some reading - it looks like the best option, at the
moment, is to use mhddfs [1], a FUSE based UnionFS implementation.
Why that one? Because it's currently supported by Ubuntu, and because
it's smart enough to distribute writes to the virtual mount point
amongst the real directories based on free space.

(Apparently the performance impact of FUSE is negligible these days -
I still wouldn't use it for a recordings directory, but that's a moot
point, since storage groups handle that properly anyway)

On a side note, in case a Developer wanders through this thread: is
support for ISO/video_ts handling in storage groups on the horizon?
I'm about to embark on ripping much of my DVD collection - at the
moment I'd have to do it as MKV's, but if support for VIDEO_TS is
coming back soon, I'd consider storing them that way and converting to
temporary MKV's as they're needed.

[1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/mhddfs.1.html

- Chris