[mythtv-users] Prevent Recordings of "Live TV" from Splitting, Etc

tosds9 at gmail.com tosds9 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 00:45:28 UTC 2010

When I say that Watch TV splits content on the 00 and 30 of every hour,
I do NOT mean based on the time of recording. Rather, I mean based on
the time of playback/transfer to my computer. It is possible that the
DVR in my cable box uses multiple files to store one show. However,
because the splits happen so predictably whenever the real time is on
the 00 or 30 of an hour, I am still convinced that a setting in MythTV
is causing the file splitting.

I’ve tried using MythTV Frontend => Manage Recordings => Schedule
Recordings => Manual Schedule. This creates an entry in the “Recording
Rules” section of the frontend, and the cable box changes to the
appropriate channel at the requested time. However, when I try to play
the file in the frontend, I get a message saying “Recording
unavailable... The file for this recording cannot be found”; there are
not any files for that attempted recording anywhere in
the /var/lib/mythtv directory.

I’ve also tried the suggestion of using ffmpeg to join individual Watch
TV files. Watch TV created two files in the /var/lib/mythtv/livetv
directory. I then renamed the files 001.mpg and 002.mpg, respectively.
Although using ffmpeg to join 001.mpg and 002.mpg to create 003.mpg
completed successfully after several seconds, there is a momentary
edit-like gap in 003.mpg where the content from 001.mpg ends and the
content from 002.mpg begins (not surprising). Due to the nature of
content that I am attempting to transfer from my cable box to my
computer, such a gap is unacceptable.

Let me ask again, is there a better program than MythTV for what I am
trying to accomplish? If yes, what is it called and how do I use it? I
have already tried several variations of cat /dev/video0 >
best_of_the_best_s01e01.mpg method, but all of those variations have
failed.