[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Box Specs

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jun 11 19:11:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:51:03PM -0500, Brendan Fosberry wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Just trying to get some advice on my mythbuntu box specs. I jsut upgraded to
> a HD-PVR and the only resolutions I can grab well (watching live tv, haven't
> tried recording yet) are 480i and 480p. At 720p is stutters every second
> about 8 times and then is fine for about 2 mins before doing it again. At
> 1080i it distorts the picture every 2 seconds. I figure my box is under spec
> for handling this data but I wanted advice on WHAT to upgrade to meet spec
> for this type of processing. Here are my current specs:
>
> Asus M2N68-VM  with onboard graphics
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131355
> 4GB DDR2 800
> AMd Athlon 64x2 2.6Ghz.
> 1GB sata2  HD.
>
> I'm considering either upgrading the CPU to maybe a Phenom II 940 and/or
> getting a basic nvidia graphics card with hdmi output and hardware encoding
> handle the load but I'm not sure what would have the most effect.

    Get the better video card. You will generate a lot less heat with the
better GPU than you do with the upgraded CPU. The CPU will have to work a
lot harder at decoding than the better video card will.

    I'm happy with my nv9400 based systems. Other people recommend nv220s.

    You should be able to find a cheap fanless card to suit you.