[mythtv-users] Slave Backend "currently not connected" after Master puts it to sleep

Dick Hamill dickhamill at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:47:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I've just upgraded all front/back ends to Mythbuntu 10.04, and I'm
attempting to run my slave back end only when it's needed.  Here's what I've
done so far:

1) My master backend is always on, running Myth backend 0.23.  It has
several tuners.
2) My slave backend has its power controlled completely by the master.  It
has a couple of extra tuners that don't fit in the master server.
3) I configured wake-on-lan on the slave.
4) I set up the mythtv user with permission (sudoers) to shutdown the slave.
5) I configured (mythtv-setup) the slave with
SleepCommand = "sudo /sbin/halt -p"
WakeUpCommand = "/usr/bin/wakeonlan XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" (where the X's are my
mac address of the slave)

In my opinion, everything tests okay.  If I've got nothing set to record on
the slave, it gets a sleep command from the master and it shuts down fine.

If I manually send a wake-on-lan packet from the master to the slave, it
wakes up fine.

If I restart the master's mythtv-backend service, it wakes up the slave
(which boots normally), and then shuts down the slave immediately.

The problem is this:  when the master shuts down the slave, it moves the
status to "currently not connected" instead of asleep.  So, recordings that
should wake up the slave in the future are shown as conflicts.

I can't seem to get the master to understand it should wake up the slave.
Is there something I haven't configured correctly?