[mythtv-users] Good card for VDPAU high quality?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Jun 11 05:47:28 UTC 2010

On 6/10/10 7:30 PM, Matt Goebel wrote:

*snip*
> I'm thinking of buying better 220 or better cards to replace them.  Can
> anyone suggest something decent?  I'd like:
>
>   1. Must work well with VDPAU High Quality (duh)
>   2. Something that runs cooler.  I know I'm looking at a fan but if
>      it's quiet that's ok.
>   3. Must have HDMI out and work with a Samsung DLP and LCD (I've read
>      cards/TV are having issues)
>   4. Must have *working* 5.1 audio or better.  By working I mean work
>      under Fedora 12 + alsa-driver from Atrpms...  I just want to grab
>      an RPM for my kernel, I'm not compiling alsa every time.  Without
>      this I can't watch my H.264/ACC content.
>   5. Prefer if it was under $100

I've got one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130523

EVGA 01G-P3-1227-LR GeForce GT 220 SSC Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI
Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Works just fine for VDPAU, and when the NVidia driver loads and kicks
in, I can't hear the fan.

Aside from #4, which I can't test right now as I don't have a receiver
that can decode the higher end audio streams, so there isn't any point
in me moving from the optical, it fits all your requirements and is a
bit on the overkill side memory wise.

I have seen one post in another forum somewhere on the interwebz that
said in their testing, 1 gig of DDR3 made for smoother VDPAU playback on
the higher bitrate files, and at the time I purchased this, the price
difference was small enough that it was worth it.

So far, I have no complaints, aside from that it wasn't free.  :-)