[mythtv-users] Questions about master/slave BE

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:55:38 UTC 2010

On 9 June 2010 10:23, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> If I was running a backend 24/7 (which I do at the moment) I would try
>> to put as many capture devices in the machine as I reasonably could in
>> order to avoid having to periodically run a slave backend.
>>
> I have a master back-end server full of capture cards that runs 24/7, and
> I'm beginning to think the exact opposite.
>
> The big problem is, the capture cards are about half the power consumption
> of the server. They are PCI DVB-T cards, it's possible that if I upgraded to
> PCI-E or USB capture devices I could reduce the power, but that's a
> discussion for another time (and when there's money available!).

Mike,

That's actually a good point - do you have any real-world figures for
your PCI DVB-T tuners (how many/model/power usage when
idle/recording)?

I've not yet bought an inline power usage meter, but it might make for
a useful set of figures if MythTV users with inline meters contribute
their tuner/capture card (and overall system) power consumption
figures. It could go a long way to building lower power HTPCs based on
real-world numbers.

Cheers,
Nick

--