[mythtv-users] XMLTV and time zones

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:10:32 UTC 2010

On 7 June 2010 20:16, Alan Ferrero <alanf at tin.it> wrote:
> Hi all! :)
>
> From where I live, I can receive satellite broadcastings of a foreign
> country that has a different time zone (+1) than mine.
>
> Is there a way for XMLTV to postpone all of the schedules by 1 hour?

There are no utilities supplied with XMLTV that do this, as far as I
can tell. A quick Google revealed the xmltvalter.exe tool for Windows
that might do what you want. It should be quick straightforward to
hack one of the existing XMLTV filter tools to read in the programme
data and apply a negative/positive offset to the programme timings. I
might even have a go if I have the time in the future. Ultimately,
XMLTV provides programme data with UTC offsets and it is up to the
consuming application to correctly handle it.

> I did notice a setting for this specific purpose in each channel
> configuration, but unless I got it wrong, it only applies to Schedules
> Direct.

The XMLTV timezone setting in MythTV is/was a global setting, which I
think is applied to all video sources using an XMLTV grabber.

As I understood it back in 2008, the underlying issue was that MythTV
did not correctly store and handle XMLTV data which contains
programmes having start/stop times with different UTC offsets. I
raised a bug report here:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5853

as I see bad listings during the BST changeovers each October. The
ticket was converted from a bug to a task, and then closed as a
feature request without a patch! The fix would require a non-trivial
amount of work from an interested developer, and the problem arises
(for me at least) on at most two days per year. I'd much rather see
full UTF-8 support in MythTV :)

Cheers,
Nick

--