[mythtv-users] Dish Channel Change Script

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 16:04:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/17/2010 12:23 AM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
>>
>> This is a modified channel change script that uses the guide
>> to more reliably select channels..

>> The above script uses the guide instead of selecting channels
>> from the normal screen. It seems to fix the problem where you
>> are on a channel and the up at the start of the channel change script
>> results in an error message where number commands no longer work.
>> I have not had this fail yet to change a channel with blacked out games,
>> unavailable channels, etc.
>>

> If you're confident in the changes, please update the script at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Dish-change-channel-lirc.sh .  Also, if the up is
> no longer necessary with the guide usage, you may want to remove that
> (please test the various approaches by putting your STB on channels you
> don't have in your package and with blocked channels).
>
> It would also be good to have people test the modified script and report the
> results here before you make the changes.

I have my own channel changing script, but I modified it like Mark to
enter the guide before selecting the channel.  It's been running for
about a week, quite successfully.  I can't say whether "up" is
necessary, as I haven't done exhaustive testing, but I think "guide"
is definitely the way to go.

Jim