[mythtv-users] [OT] Running a VNC server on :1 on Mythbuntu

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 00:43:41 UTC 2010

This is slightly off topic, but I would like to start up a VNC server
on :1 on my mythbuntu box.  I've installed vnc4server and edited
~/.vnc/xstartup so that it runs xinitrc, but when I do that, I get a
2nd instance of mythfrontend running on my :1 server.

I want mythfronend running on the :0 server (which is attached to my
TV).  But I would also like to have a standard xfce session running on
:1 to which I can connect via vnc and use.

So I have a couple of questions...

How many bad things will happen if I happen to have 2 mythfrontend's
running from the same user ID, stomping on each others log files,
connecting to the backend impersonating each other etc... I'm assuming
that this isn't a good thing, even if only for a moment or two.  Does
that sound like a reasonable assumption?

Does anybody know of any way in xfce to start an application
automatically (say, for example mythfrontend) only on X server :0, but
not on X server :1?

--wpd